[5th Draft] Open Letter to CNRI: Request for clarification

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Mon Jul 31 14:35:51 EDT 2000

In article <3985D797.E5D2FC08 at nowonder.de>,
Peter Schneider-Kamp  <nowonder at nowonder.de> wrote:

><flame-shield>Should I add email addresses?</flame-shield>

Actually, that's probably a good idea, unless someone objects.

>--- begin open letter -------------------------------------------------
>To: Dr. Robert E. Kahn <rkahn at cnri.reston.va.us>,
>    (president of The Corporation for National Research Initiatives)
>
>Dear Dr. Kahn,
>
>many people in the Python community around the newsgroup
>comp.lang.python are deeply concerned about the latest license
>issues that have arisen around the new 1.6/2.0 releases.

Capitalize "many people".  I'd shorten this to

"Many people in the Python community have concerns about the license
issues that have popped up around the new 1.6/2.0 releases."

>The following attached signatures represent people from the Python
>community who would like some clarification regarding the future of the
>Python language. As of now, there has been no official statement from
>your institution regarding the new Python license. We are especially
>interested in the underlying intention of this change. So we request
>a plain-English, non-legalese statement regarding the purpose of that
>change and the ways in which it affects Python's use.

Looks mostly good to me.  Go ahead and add my name:

Aahz, aahz at pobox.com

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

NOTE: end of September, Earthlink kills Netcom.  My new permanent address is
aahz at pobox.com.  I have not decided where to set my primary shell account.
Please do not send me e-mail condolences; my mailbox is already too big.