Discussion: new operators for numerical computation

Bjorn Pettersen bjorn at roguewave.com
Fri Jul 21 14:27:35 EDT 2000

Huaiyu Zhu wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Jul 2000 17:55:33 -0600, Bjorn Pettersen <bjorn at roguewave.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> OTOH, would you care to give a brief summary of how these other languages
> >> deal with these issues?  It may indeed provide valuable insight.
> >
> >I agree with Paul, if you want to use Matlab syntax, use Matlab. Here's
> >links to APL/J info http://www.acm.org/sigapl/links.htm
>
> It would be great if you could summarize some of the issues concerning
> treatment of multiarray in APL/J.  The purpose of this discussion is for all
> sides to spell out their favorite.  Imho, issues that are so involved that
> could not be explained here are unlikely to be suitable to go into the PEP.

Personally, I can't see any advantages to APL/J, but then I'm not heavily into
math. I do think that anyone who is interested in a specific domain (especially
when wanting to morph Python to fit this domain) should know what the current
state of the art is.  It took me less than half an hour to get a good grasp of
what APL/J was about, and judging from some of the suggestions in this thread
we're headed in a very interesting direction. (I'm assuming it's possible to
maintain APL/J programs, but I can't quite see how?)

-- bjorn