Discussion: new operators for numerical computation

Huaiyu Zhu hzhu at localhost.localdomain
Thu Jul 20 20:33:03 EDT 2000

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000 17:55:33 -0600, Bjorn Pettersen <bjorn at roguewave.com>
wrote:

>> OTOH, would you care to give a brief summary of how these other languages
>> deal with these issues?  It may indeed provide valuable insight.
>
>I agree with Paul, if you want to use Matlab syntax, use Matlab. Here's
>links to APL/J info http://www.acm.org/sigapl/links.htm

It would be great if you could summarize some of the issues concerning
treatment of multiarray in APL/J.  The purpose of this discussion is for all
sides to spell out their favorite.  Imho, issues that are so involved that
could not be explained here are unlikely to be suitable to go into the PEP.

As to why not use matlab alone, I think this has been discussed many times
already: Other than calculator languages, a languages has far more things
than math operators.  I'm sure you can compile a long list of advantages of
python over matlab.

Huaiyu