merge (Re: zip or marry etc)

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Thu Jul 20 11:28:56 EDT 2000

In article <+MLEAgA0Lxd5EwDd at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk>,
Robin Becker  <robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
>In article <8l6vc5$c07$1 at slb6.atl.mindspring.net>, Aahz Maruch
><aahz at netcom.com> writes
>>Attribution for Remco Gerlich restored:
>>>
>>>The function zip as proposed (combine two lists into a list of pairs)
>>>is straight from Haskell (and other functional languages) just like map
>>>and filter. I think zip is the obvious name.
>>
>>Ah.  Hmmmm....  Well, then, I guess I withdraw my objections to zip.
>>I'd still prefer something else, but....
>
>so are we saying that the almost unknown language Haskell has the
>correct semantics for this; zip has at least three common usages other
>than of zip fastener meaning (interlace).

I'm not saying that.  I'm saying that given that zip() is to be used for
the purpose of giving Python some of the attributes of functional
languages, it's reasonable to use the same notation they do
(particularly if it's more than just Haskell).  I still don't *like* it,
but I'll put up with it, even though I'm worried about namespace
collisions when someone creates a file zipping routine.

"Standards are wonderful: there are so many of them to choose from."
--
                      --- Aahz (Copyright 2000 by aahz at netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

Q:  In a lesbian relationship, who decides who gets to be the man?
A:  It's two women.  There is no man.  That's the point.