POOP / Python (Object Oriented Persistence) ?

Dirk-Ulrich Heise hei at adtranzsig.de
Tue Jul 11 11:08:47 EDT 2000

Sounds nice. But imagine this problem:
You write an app for a customer, say, a
paint program that lets the user compose
a picture of elements like boxes, circles etc.
Saving is done by storing the state of the
objects using ZODB.

Later, you want to give the customer a new
version of the program. The object structure
will have changed. Especially, some already
existing classes might have more attributes
now.

Isn't this a very real problem? I mean, i could
get around it using some export/import feature
that saves to a certain file format i define.
So i'd be writing save/load stuff myself again.
So what do i gain using ZODB or pickle or whatever?

That's my principal problem with all this
persistency stuff - interoperability between
versions of a program. Or is ZODB the first
thing to overcome this, and i missed
something?

--
Dipl.Inform. Dirk-Ulrich Heise