Matlab vs Python (was RE: Discussion: Introducing new operators for matrix computation)

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Wed Jul 19 12:06:32 EDT 2000

Charles Boncelet wrote:

> On my soapbox: As you say, Python "isn't even close to the most popular
> tool for its problem domain".  And yet, the Python community refuses to
> sully the language by adding things that might make it more popular (not
> just more operators for numerical work, but stackless for palm pilots,
> +=, ++, support for reloadable operators, typechecking, list
> comprehensions, more elaborate iterators, to name a few.)  There might
> be arguments against each of these, but taken together it indicates an
> unwillingness to change.  Python is perfect as is, and we certainly
> don't need to adopt the methods of the unwashed.

Python 2 will likely have += and list comprehensions. Typechecking is
scheduled for addition once the details are worked out.

If Python did not grow slowly and conservatively, I dare say that
neither you nor I would be using it today. It would be just another
overgrown language that caters to everyone's preferences.

Your paragraph implies that Python would be more popular if it attempted
to adopt everything that is in popular languages. I think that that is a
simplistic view of language evolution.
Just how compassionate can a Republican get before he has to leave the
GOP and join Vegans for Global Justice? ... One moment, George W. Bush
is holding a get-to-know-you meeting with a bunch of gay Republicans.
The next he is holding forth on education or the environment ... It is
enough to make a red-blooded conservative choke on his spotted-owl
drumstick.     - April 29th, Economist