newbie unimpressed...

david_ullrich at my-deja.com david_ullrich at my-deja.com
Tue Jul 18 11:04:07 EDT 2000

In article <3bRWfQ$lHg at openbazaar.net>,
  theebh at yahoo.com.bbs@openbazaar.net (Jonathan) wrote:
> In article <8kvp81$9q1$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,
>   sharkey3 at my-deja.com wrote:
> > I have much experience in tcl and perl, and I have finally found a
> good
> > project to learn python with.  Unfortunately, I am very frustrated
so
> > far with the language.  Although maybe it's just with the
> documentation.
> >
> > I'm serious.  The documentation really sucks.
> > Example:  where is the % operator documented for strings?
> >

> I'm a newbie myself and i happen to come across those formatting
> operators while reading the "Learning Python" book. Grab a copy of it;
> though it's not a reference book, at least it gives you an overall
idea.

    Or a person could just look at the docs. In the index
you see "Builtin Types" towards the top. You don't see
"string" there at first - then you notice a subheading
"More String Operations" under "Sequence Types". You
go to More String Operations and the first thing you
see is a description of how "%" works for strings.