[FAQTS] Python Knowledge Base Update -- July 6th, 2000

Fiona Czuczman fiona at sitegnome.com
Thu Jul 6 07:54:59 EDT 2000

Hi Guys!

Below are the latest entries to be entered into http://python.faqts.com

For those of you that missed my announcement earlier today:

"Many thanks to Hans Nowak for providing FAQTs with his collection of
snippets for entry into http://python.faqts.com.

They can be found directly at

http://www.faqts.com/knowledge-base/index.phtml/fid/538/lang/en

The knowledge base now contains greater than 653 questions with
answers!!"

Cheers, Fiona Czuczman

Todays new entries include:

How do I convert a string to hex?
How can I convert a hex number to a string?
Is it possible (on Win) to send commands to a DDE server (in my case it
is ACDSee.exe) from python?
How can I control input and output to the screen other than the print
command?

## Unanswered Questions ########################################

Why is some strange charachters appearing  instead of norwegian charachters in GUI of pythonwin build 132
http://www.faqts.com/knowledge-base/view.phtml/aid/4590
Nils Otto Johansen

## New Entries #################################################

How do I convert a string to hex?
http://www.faqts.com/knowledge-base/view.phtml/aid/4591
Fiona Czuczman
richard_chamberlain

import string
b = "6b584"
i=string.atoi(b,16)
print hex(i)

0x6b584

How can I convert a hex number to a string?
http://www.faqts.com/knowledge-base/view.phtml/aid/4592
Fiona Czuczman
Remco Gerlich

x = 0x26100
y = "0x%x" % x  # String formatting "%x" formatter makes hex numbers

y is now "0x26100".

Is it possible (on Win) to send commands to a DDE server (in my case it is ACDSee.exe) from python?
http://www.faqts.com/knowledge-base/view.phtml/aid/4593
Fiona Czuczman
Jean-Francois Richard

Download pythonwin and look into the win32/demos/dde directory. There is
a sample of a dde client and server.

How can I control input and output to the screen other than the print command?
http://www.faqts.com/knowledge-base/view.phtml/aid/4594
Fiona Czuczman
Grant Edwards

There are two modules that provide that sort of thing:

  curses (uses curses)
  snack  (uses newt/slang)

I think you can find the curses module in the usual places
(www.python.org).

The docs for snack/newt are pretty skimpy.  It comes with RH, and there
are some example programs in the newt distribution. I don't know if it's
current, but you can get version 0.50 it from my ftp site:

  ftp://ftp.visi.com/users/grante/stuff/newt-0.50.tar.gz