From UNIX to Win NT

j vickroy jvickroy at sec.noaa.gov
Mon Jul 3 11:37:36 EDT 2000

Mark isn't here yet but his book (Python Programming on Win 32) is and I quote
(from page 35):

"
In many cases, the best solution is to rebuild this part of the application for
Windows.  On a typical Unix machine, creating new processes (as fork() does) is a
relatively cheap operation.  On Windows, howerver, the overhead of creating a new
process is significant, so solutions using this architecture on Windows won't
often scale or perform as you would hope.  Rewriting this portion of the
application to use multiple threads instead of multiple processes is often the
best solution for Windows.
"