Switching to Linux...... converting files and databases....

Dave Williams xiarcexml at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 12 16:11:49 EDT 2000

Hello...  I am learning Python ((although I've taken a break from it
to put some finishing touches on a Java application I wrote))... and
something >>drastic<< occurred...

My Windows 95 crashed... big-time...  OK.. so why do you care??
Well.. I was looking for input on whether Python would be the right
choice for this product...

The problem:
1) Windows 95
2) Files such as Word Files, Excel Databases, Works Files, Access
Databases...
3) A family member who is resisting the >>potential<< change to
Linux.

A solution (???)
1) Linux
2) deferred to below:
3) as well, deferred to below:

Proposed project: The Windows to Linux Survival Kit
Subject: Software that can open and read Microsoft's proprietary
(wrong word?) files and convert them to databases and files usable by
Linux's opensource software..

I am in the planning stages, and I am simply wondering... Should I
consider Python as a suitable language for writing these programs?
And does anyone have any suggested resources for the hows (not whys)
of Linux, and perhaps for the use of Microsoft files with Python?
Another idea of mine involves XML (another one of my pet learning
projects).

...or maybe something exists out there (or a project that I can get
involved in) already?

Thanks alot,

Dave