The State of Python

Dan Smart cppdan at dansmart.com
Mon Jul 31 22:59:13 EDT 2000

tim_one at email.msn.com (Tim Peters) wrote in
<LNBBLJKPBEHFEDALKOLCIEEAGMAA.tim_one at email.msn.com>:
>  The decision to put something in the public domain is
>irrevocable, so stops that game before it starts.  In the area of
>programming languages, the decision to develop Icon
>(http://www.cs.arizona.edu/icon/) in the public domain has granted Ralph
>Griswold a long, happy and lawyer-free life.

WARNING (IANAL but have been advised by one)
Putting something in the public domain involves releasing it without a
license and I have been told that this is extremely risky. Apparently the
primary purpose of a BSD style license is to limit liability - typically to
no more than you paid for the software (i.e. nothing). With out such a
license clause, or indeed a license at all, you are potentially open to
unlimited liability in the event that a user of your software suffers harm
from such use - even though they paid nothing for it.
This struck me as insane, but I have been assured that this is the case.

>not-speaking-for-anyone-ly y'rs  - tim

Barely-communicating-ly yours
Dan

--
Dan Smart. C++ Programming and Mentoring.
cppdan at dansmart.com