locale and _locale ??

Paul Winkler slinkp23 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 22 09:25:09 EDT 2000

Hi,

I seem to be missing the _locale module needed by locale.

I have python-1.5.2-13 (latest RPM I can find on RedHat's download
sites).
Running RedHat linux.

When I try to import locale, I get:
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/lib/python1.5/locale.py", line 4, in ?
    from _locale import *
ImportError: No module named _locale

Looking for *locale* turns up these files:
/usr/lib/python1.5/_localemodule.c
/usr/lib/python1.5/locale.pyc
/usr/lib/python1.5/locale.py
/usr/lib/python1.5/locale.pyo

Nothing called _locale.py...

I did a deja search and found one posting that suggested _locale was
left
out of the RPM by mistake. But there is no newer RPM on RedHat's
site.
I also downloaded the latest python sources I could find at
ftp.python.org, called py152.tgz  ... no _locale.  I also tried
py152b2.tgz ... no _locale.

Where can I find _locale??? Can somebody point me to some version of
python that *definitely* includes it? I'm getting really frustrated
with downloading megabytes of data on a slow modem just to see if
MAYBE this one includes this one little file...

TIA,

PW

slinkP arts:   music, sound, illustration, design, etc.
        web page:  http://www.ulster.net/~abigoo
      A member of ARMS:   http://www.reacharms.com
               or http://www.mp3.com/arms