Perl is worse!

Grant Edwards ge at nowhere.none
Fri Jul 28 11:29:57 EDT 2000

In article <slrn8o38ap.3ok.grey at teleute.rpglink.com>, Steve Lamb wrote:

>>For me, 1 and "1" are clearly not two numbers.  The former is a
>>number, the latter a string consisting of the character "1".  Saying
>>that they are numbers because we "see" they're numbers is like
>>insisting one 1 + "one" to return 2 because "one" is so obviously a
>>number.
>
> You see that only because you are a programmer and have gotten
> used to the concept of types.

For whom, exactly, are programming languages supposed to be
designed if not for programmers?

>I, too, am a programmer and I reject the concept of types
>because to the human that concept is meaningless.

The concepts are meaningful to me (and I find them useful).
Therefore, according to your argument, I am not a human.

Claiming the people with whom you're arguing aren't human
doesn't seem to me like a useful way to construct an agrument.

If you don't like types, use a language without types.  Some of
us find them useful.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Mary Tyler Moore's
                                  at               SEVENTH HUSBAND is wearing