Python in game development?

Manuel Gutierrez Algaba thor at localhost.localdomain
Thu Jul 20 17:57:21 EDT 2000

On 20 Jul 2000  Martijn Faassen <m.faassen at vet.uu.nl> wrote:
>Paul Prescod <paul at prescod.net> wrote:

>>> be dirt-slow, though. The trade-off is a lot of power for speed, but
>>> that power can help you gain back speed because you can be a lot smarter.
>
>> Python is dirt-slow if you are going to write a whole game in it.
>

>That said, I think Python can definitely be used in a game engine and that
>it wouldn't be too slow for many purposes. Include babbling about
>'premature optimization' and 'reinventing the wheel' here as arguments
>for the use of Python in games.

I've implemented a game in python for the university. It uses
Clips for AI , and tkinter for "graphics". It's 10000+ lines long.
It's not slow. And it'll be made public by September (if everything
goes well).

python is wonderful, much better than pythonistas think.

P.S.: The game is entirely written in SPANISH, so till I translate
it into English, THOSE with a knowledge in SPANISH may enjoy the
reading of such a beast !

I hope everything goes well and by October/November we have
the best game with the best AI implemented in PURE python and Clips.

---
MGA