Microsoft's C# (Sharp) & .NET -- A Heads Up

alex at magenta.com.bbs alex at magenta.com.bbs
Mon Jul 17 15:20:04 EDT 2000

"G. David Kuhlman" <dkuhlman at netcom.com> wrote in message
news:8kvdon$tit$1 at slb3.atl.mindspring.net...
    [snip]
> One thing (among many) that I do not understand is how C#Python can
> both compile directly to IL (intermediate language?) and produce a
> .DLL/.EXE.  Does the .EXE contain both an interpreter (VM ?) and
> the IL (byte code?) that it interprets?  Or does IL mean that the
> machine code is in there, but augmented with some meta-information
> for debuggers and other tools?  Or, what?

As I "read between the lines", mostly in the paper (on the MSDN
online technical articles library) about Eiffel#, the .NET framework
lets IL (bytecode and metadata, or native-code and metadata) be
packed into a module (DLL or EXE), and if desired multiple modules
may be packed into one (modules may also refer to other modules
outside of their 'packaging', but a more self-contained packaging
may also be provided if desired).

I guess/suspect that Python.NET (or Python# as the case may be)
exploits exactly these capabilities of the framework...?

Alex