Python 3000

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Tue Jul 25 08:53:36 EDT 2000

In article <O%ff5.11777$4p3.90266 at news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
Neil Hodgson <neilh at scintilla.org> wrote:
>Aahz Maruch wrote:
>> Neil Hodgson <neilh at scintilla.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Your version numbering is a little out of date - 1.6 will be released in
>>
>> Your version numbers are also a little bit out of date.  1.6 has been
>> renamed to 2.0 with the departure of the core Python team from CNRI to
>> BeOpen.
>
>   Nope - its a real soap opera now with 1.6 produced by Guido for CNRI and
>then 2.0 from BeOpen. And the license to be included with 1.6 sucks because
>its much longer and more complex although it probably won't make that much
>difference in practical terms.

Yes, I know about the soap opera.  The fact remains that 1.6 will almost
certainly never be a released chunk of code -- it never had a beta!
It's also true that the 2.0 released from BeOpen (once the soap opera
ends) will almost certainly be based primarily on the 1.6 code base.  So
it's reasonable to simply say that 1.6 has been renamed to 2.0 -- and in
fact, that's what Guido Himself does:

http://www.pythonlabs.com/tech/python16.html
--
                      --- Aahz (Copyright 2000 by aahz at netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

Zie is so far from a clue that it would take a sub-light vessel several
years to reach one.  --Aahz