Python in game development?

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Fri Jul 21 05:22:45 EDT 2000

Sean Wilson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > From a game programming perspective, you can probably consider Python to
> > be dirt-slow, though. The trade-off is a lot of power for speed, but
> > that power can help you gain back speed because you can be a lot smarter.
>
> Before I started trying to write my own scripted language I tried to find
> some tutorials and articles on them but couldn't get them anywhere. Someone
> directed me towards python but I couldn't find anything about the virtual
> machine it uses. How does it work and why is it so slow?

I think by now Martijn wishes he had spoken more clearly. Python is only
slow compared to assembly language and C. It is quite reasonable in
performance compared to other scripting languages!!!

Python may be slower than your language because it has more
sophisticated flow control. In particular, Python's function calling and
name lookups are very flexible and not as efficient as in less flexible
languages.

"Hardly anything more unwelcome can befall a scientific writer than
having the foundations of his edifice shaken after the work is
finished.  I have been placed in this position by a letter from
Mr. Bertrand Russell..."
 - Frege, Appendix of Basic Laws of Arithmetic (of Russell's Paradox)