Python in game development?

Courageous jkraska1 at san.rr.com
Tue Jul 25 01:43:48 EDT 2000

> > Even 10 iterations would be only 5 minutes.  A bug that took that many
> > iterations to kill would require much more than 5 minutes thought.
>
> You're completely missing the point. It's not the number
> of iterations required to *fix* the bug, it's the number
> of iterations required to *find* the bug.
>
> The ability to watch your program execute is an extremely
> powerful way to track down the causes of bugs.

Boy oh boy do I agree with this! I'm currently a Lisp developer,
and the ability to get into the interpreter and probe the
program I'm working on with arbitrarily complex expressions
in Lisp is essential to discovering sometimes very hard to find
problems. The program I'm working on is a sophisticated command
and control simulation with many different kinds of entities that
go through very complex state changes. Without the ability to
probe, I'd be sunk.

This is not a case of crashes, exceptions, or obvious errors;
this is a case of subtle misbehavior of model entities which
often must be carefully probed for small idiosyncracies...

C/