dont laugh

Will Ware wware at world.std.com
Thu Aug 31 21:38:45 EDT 2000

Jason Cunliffe (jasonic at nomadicsltd.com) wrote:
> A lot of what mars many training video are basic film making mistakes:
> lousy sound, poor focus...

What would have worried me would have been the low resolution of video,
since text plays such an important role in programming.

> Why video IS great = easy installation + high bandwidth + people +
> rhythm + attention..

I think one of the really big virtues of video is the enormous installed
base of TVs and VCRs out there.

> I just finished watching ome video of a conference...
> programmers navigating around their source files...

This addresses my concern about video resolution. If source code is
legible, that's the main thing.

OK, I'm convinced, video is the way to go. Can you suggest any URLs
about good video technique, and particularly getting good screenshots?

As far as doing a good job of representing the Pythonic mindset, a
couple possibilities come to mind. One would be to ask the expert to
construct good and bad examples, and explain what makes the good ones
better. (In some cases, it might make sense to present a sequence of
examples, going from horrible to adequate to elegant.)

The other possibility is to record an instance where the expert is
teaching somebody of lesser expertise. Hopefully the student will ask
all the questions that the viewer would want to ask if he were there.
--
# Resistance is futile. Capacitance is efficacious.