transactions and MS SQL Server 7.0

jeffcjohnson at my-deja.com jeffcjohnson at my-deja.com
Wed Aug 2 09:36:35 EDT 2000

Thanks for the info, I'll look into ADO.  I also downloaded mxODBC but
haven't installed it yet.  Are there pros and cons for each?  ADO makes
me nervous because it sounds proprietary and who knows when I'll have
to switch to Sybase or whatever.  I'd prefer to stick to open standards
unless there is a good reason not to..

In article <8m8nlr01ss0 at news2.newsguy.com>,
  "Alex Martelli" <alex at magenta.com> wrote:
> <jeffcjohnson at my-deja.com> wrote in message
> news:8m7jli$jj6$1 at nnrp1.deja.com...
> > Hi there,
> > I'm using the dbi and odbc modules from the Win32
> > extensions to connect to MS SQL Server 7.0.  It
> > works ok but I need to turn on transactions.  Is
> > there a way to do it?  Is there a better way to
> > connect to the database?
> >
> > I'd like to find a better way to connect as there
> > are some problems with the win32 odbc module.
> > Any suggestions?
>
> ADO 2.5 works just great with SQL Server 7, at least according
> to my tests so far -- I'm actually using the Developer Edition
> aka Desktop Edition aka MSDE, but it's supposed to be the
> same engine as costlier editions of SQL Server, just tuned
> for small-group-use.  ADOX, for simpler/portable DDL and
> discovery of DB structure, also seems to work but with some
> limits (there's lots of stuff which you must done via SQL in a
> more direct way, ALTER TABLE or CREATE TABLE etc,
> but that's OK I guess -- the DB-structure-discovery is what I'm
> using ADOX for, rather than modifications, for which the DDL
> part of SQL is fine for my purposes).
>
> The only glitch is that, as far as I know, there is no way to use
> ADO _encapsulated_ within Python's semi-standard view of
> relational database access, the "Python Database API" (e.g.
> http://www.python.org/topics/database/DatabaseAPI-2.0.html
> used to be dbi, but apparently the 2.0 release doesn't have
> that), i.e. the ADO equivalent of mxODBC, DCOracle, etc.
>
> Also see
> http://www.faqts.com/knowledge-base/view.phtml/aid/3669
> for some notes on using ADO with Python.
>
> Alex

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.