transactions and MS SQL Server 7.0

Alex Martelli alex at magenta.com
Wed Aug 2 04:51:22 EDT 2000

<jeffcjohnson at my-deja.com> wrote in message
news:8m7jli$jj6$1 at nnrp1.deja.com...
> Hi there,
> I'm using the dbi and odbc modules from the Win32
> extensions to connect to MS SQL Server 7.0.  It
> works ok but I need to turn on transactions.  Is
> there a way to do it?  Is there a better way to
> connect to the database?
>
> I'd like to find a better way to connect as there
> are some problems with the win32 odbc module.
> Any suggestions?

ADO 2.5 works just great with SQL Server 7, at least according
to my tests so far -- I'm actually using the Developer Edition
aka Desktop Edition aka MSDE, but it's supposed to be the
same engine as costlier editions of SQL Server, just tuned
for small-group-use.  ADOX, for simpler/portable DDL and
discovery of DB structure, also seems to work but with some
limits (there's lots of stuff which you must done via SQL in a
more direct way, ALTER TABLE or CREATE TABLE etc,
but that's OK I guess -- the DB-structure-discovery is what I'm
using ADOX for, rather than modifications, for which the DDL
part of SQL is fine for my purposes).

The only glitch is that, as far as I know, there is no way to use
ADO _encapsulated_ within Python's semi-standard view of
relational database access, the "Python Database API" (e.g.
http://www.python.org/topics/database/DatabaseAPI-2.0.html
used to be dbi, but apparently the 2.0 release doesn't have
that), i.e. the ADO equivalent of mxODBC, DCOracle, etc.

Also see
http://www.faqts.com/knowledge-base/view.phtml/aid/3669
for some notes on using ADO with Python.

Alex