Python and CORBA

Duncan Grisby dgrisby at uk.research.att.com
Tue Aug 15 05:18:14 EDT 2000

In article <877l9jjhpv.fsf at cachemir.echo-net.net>,
 Roland Mas  <mas at echo.fr> wrote:

>Samuel A. Falvo II (2000-08-14 20:01:14 -0700) :

>> In the interests of not being absolutely shocked when things don't work as
>> planned, PyORBit, or anything else based on ORBit, do not produce IORs
>> capable of being read by any other ORB.  The reason is that they lack an
>> IIOP profile in the IOR, which prevents an object from being located via an
>> IIOP channel.
>
>I'll have to trust you on that point, since I'm absolutely not sure of
>what you mean (in other words, I don't follow you).

ORBit _does_ support IIOP, and always has done. What may cause
confusion is that the ORBit used by Gnome uses a proprietary
authentication mechanism, meaning that other ORBs cannot talk to Gnome
servers. It's not too hard to hack another ORB to use the same
mechanism -- I did it for omniORB once, but it was such a nasty hack
that I never made it part of the release.

[...]
>  Since I'm heavily involved with ORBit-Python, and since I have
>extensive needs about it (Big Project for Real Work), I guess it's not
>really going to die right now: whatever I need, I'll code and
>contribute to ORBit-Python.

Are there plans to make ORBit-Python adhere to the standard language
mapping?  It greatly weakens the standard mapping for there to be five
Python ORBs, only one of which supports the standard. I went to a lot
of effort, and some significant compromises, to make omniORBpy adhere
to the standard. It all seems like a bit of a waste if no-one else
bothers.

Cheers,

Duncan.