Python and CORBA

Roland Mas mas at echo.fr
Tue Aug 15 18:14:52 EDT 2000

Duncan Grisby (2000-08-15 09:18:14 +0000) :

> Are there plans to make ORBit-Python adhere to the standard language
> mapping?  It greatly weakens the standard mapping for there to be five
> Python ORBs, only one of which supports the standard. I went to a lot
> of effort, and some significant compromises, to make omniORBpy adhere
> to the standard. It all seems like a bit of a waste if no-one else
> bothers.

The homepage (from <http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/orbit-python/>
has this to say about it:

    "Many of the guidelines in the Python Language Mapping
    Specification have been followed, while some have not. I hope to
    eventually be compatible with this specification."

  So I guess there are at least vague plans for it.  How soon they'll
be implemented, I cannot tell, you'll have to ask the mailing list, or
directly the maintainer to know how strongly involved he feels about
that.  I personnally (well... professionnally) first need
functionalities that are not there yet (such as wide chars and
strings, for instance) and a stable memory behaviour (been fixing
leaks for the last week or so), but if I can do them rather rapidly
I'll probably end up working on the mapping itself.

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

 ar c   t  e l  l  iè    u   ai  i    a   mi    .
  -- Signatures à collectionner, série n°1, partie 2/3.