print statement and multithreading

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Fri Aug 25 12:23:22 EDT 2000

On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 04:59:54PM +0100, Paul Duffin wrote:

> So is K&R 2nd Edition the definitive definition of C that Python
> will use ?

No. Most of Python 1.5.2 (but not all) was written in K&R C, with
compatibility code for some ANSI features (like prototypes, variable args
functions, the 'void *' type, return type for signals, etc), though some
modules and some platform-specific things were written in ANSI C.

However, Python 2.0 and onward will be entirely ANSI C, with most of the
compatibility code removed. (We finished the conversion a month or so ago.)
However, this is not likely to be 'the definitive definition' either ! In a
number of years, I'm sure C99-supporting compilers will be so abundant, and
it's features (like standardized floating-point!) so useful, that the
decision will be made to make Python rely on C99 features. Either that or
C++ <wink>. But I'm not accepting bets on what number of years it will be :)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>