why isn't python more popular?

Steven Adams adams_s at lab.eng.usyd.edu.au
Tue Aug 15 09:36:15 EDT 2000

>To me, perl seems very much like a
> wrapper around C with some added functionality.  Python OTOH,
> feels a little closer to Java (which isn't leaps and bounds from
> C either, but more so than perl).

I guess thats to be expected though, since Java's basic idea is everything
in objects, whereas Perl had objects sort of strapped on ... and C isn't OO
either.

Like everyone else here, I feel Python should be more popular, and I think a
key to it becoming that would be if the CP4E program took off. Python is
crutially easier to read (in general) since you don't have to worry about
the $,&,* and other symbols.

I've found Python more rewarding, especially in the short term. You can
rough up a program for some task, and then its easy to chain it together
with something else if you need to - you don't have the header files C has,
and you don't have to do everything in a class like Java - or wait to
compile it - well, I guess you do really.

Tried Perl before I heard of Python, those Perl books are currently
languishing at the far end of the shelf.

But frankly, Python just sounds so much more macho ;)

Steven

news:0d187e2d.7d95724f at usw-ex0104-087.remarq.com...