why isn't python more popular?

sp00fd sp00fdNOspSPAM at yahoo.com.invalid
Mon Aug 14 13:53:19 EDT 2000

I'm glad that you're going to stick with it, I know I will.  The
only frustrating part is (although I'm a Unix SA, occassionally
I think I might like a job in development), I hardly ever see
jobs for python programmers.  Lately, it's been getting a little
better, mostly jobs saying "Perl or Python experience", but to
me that means you're basically writing shell scripts (due to the
fact that they don't care which language, and obviously aren't
into harnessing the power of python).  Also, I take offense to
Python (or even Perl really) often being synonymous with CGI.
I'd love to program python for a living, and I have nothing
against websites, I've even written a few
(http://members.home.com/m.v.wilson), but it's not "real"
programming as far as I'm concerned *duck*.

Also, on the thread of perl (not?) being similar to C, I can't
tell you how many times I've needed to use a function in perl
that I used the standard C manpages to figure out the syntax
(i.e. strftime, etc).  To me, perl seems very much like a
wrapper around C with some added functionality.  Python OTOH,
feels a little closer to Java (which isn't leaps and bounds from
C either, but more so than perl).

Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com