GTK/Gnome or TKinker?

bowman bowman at montana.com
Wed Aug 2 10:40:11 EDT 2000

Steve Lamb <grey at despair.rpglink.com> wrote in message
news:slrn8ok2se.kpi.grey at teleute.rpglink.com...

> on which toolkit to use.  I've looked into GTK/GNome and the fact that
there
> doesn't appear to be a fairly active port to Windows does exactly fill me
with
> confidence in its continued support

While GTK is included on most current Linux distros, it isn't on AIX4, or
even
many older Linux systems, so you may wind up requiring an install if you
do use it.

I've found it easier to stick with Tk. However, What I do with Tkinter or
PerlTk
is mainly test servers and scaffolding. The bulk of my GUI programming is
currently C/Motif for Linux/AIX4/WinNT. The Tk blends right in with the
Motif,
and the GUIs in question are primitive when compared to what can be done
with GTK.

If I wanted to go to the bother of learning yet another GUI API, wxWindows
is
the one that appeals to me.