strptime and date format strings

Roy Katz katz at Glue.umd.edu
Sun Aug 13 15:34:12 EDT 2000

Hi!

I was wondering if anyone had a solution for detecting a date format
reported by an HTTP header and converting it to a standard time float?

I believe I may have seen this once; when I write a program that retrieves
the last-modified header from URLs, not all servers report the date in the
same format.  Why hasn't this been ackowledged in urllib's design?

I believe that one must detect the date format somehow and then supply
the correct format to strptime().  Alas, if there were only such a
one-size-fits-all function which would just take a string and give you
back the time.

Roey Katz

president
Programmers with Heart Attacks