PEP 214, extended print statement

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Thu Aug 17 10:31:54 EDT 2000

On Thu, Aug 17, 2000 at 06:08:18AM +0000, Al-Amerrho H. Amerin wrote:

> Doesn't this look much better and more intuitive ( my subjective opinion ) ?
>      print  'this message goes to my log file' >> mylogfile
> a-la shell script.

Well, no, because Python is not a shell script :-) It's also not possible,
because then Python would not be able to tell the difference between

print (something) >> outfile

(print 'something' to 'outfile')

and

print (something >> outfile)

(shift 'something' right by 'outfile' bits, and print the result)

'>>' is already a legal operator ! But currently 'print >> something' isn't
a legal expression, because you can't operate on a statement.

> I'm sorry if this has been discussed before...

Not at all. You're missing the point of a PEP! If it has been discussed
before, it should be mentioned in the PEP itself -- that's what it's for.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>