PEP 214, extended print statement

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Sun Aug 20 18:24:08 EDT 2000

[posted & e-mailed]

In article <14746.44861.78992.343012 at anthem.concentric.net>,
Barry A. Warsaw <bwarsaw at beopen.com> wrote:

>Proposal
>
>    This proposal introduces a syntax extension to the print
>    statement, which allows the programmer to optionally specify the
>    output file target.  An example usage is as follows:
>
>        print >> mylogfile, 'this message goes to my log file'

After reading all the discussion, I'm going to weigh in on the side of
sys.writeln().  Note specifically that I'm recommending that this not
pollute the built-ins namespace.

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little
statesmen and philosophers and divines."  -- Ralph Waldo Emerson