New user questions ... be gentle

Courageous jkraska1 at san.rr.com
Sun Aug 20 15:02:46 EDT 2000

> I use pointers and linked lists a lot in the other languages.  I have
> seen some references that hint to a way to do this but it isn't very
> clear.  Any pointers on this would be very helpful. *grins*

You don't use linked lists in Python unless they are going
to be extraordinarily large collections of objects (10-50,000
entries, IIRC). If this becomes important to you, I have a
Deque implementation which is fairly efficient which will do
in a pinch.

Anyway, for simple projects, use a python "list" (it's actually
a vector) instead. You create one like this:

mylist = []

As for pointers, all python variables are labels. They are untyped
reference-counted pointers, natively.

C//