Looking for Python programmers--where to search?

Alex Martelli alex at magenta.com
Tue Aug 15 04:20:38 EDT 2000

"Paul Schreiber" <paul at magic.ca> wrote in message
news:paul-88473D.23482814082000 at news.telocity.net...
    [snip]
> You can pick up python in a hour; all you need is a good reference book
> to look stuff up in. _Python Essential Reference_ is that book. :)

Just one counterpoint to this probably-deserved accolade: if
you go for 'Python Essential Reference', ensure the would-be
reader has *good eyesight*.  It's printed in the smallest, thinnest,
least-readable font one can imagine.  Probably no problem for
all of you eagle-sighted kids, but me, I wore rather thick glasses
even as a kid, and age doesn't help.  "The Quick Python Book" is
my current favourite -- great mix of content, clear style, AND
readable typography and layout (though, I guess, not as good a
_reference_ as 'Essential', still, an excellent first book on
Python for good programmers).

Alex