wxPython building woes

Alex Martelli alex at magenta.com
Tue Aug 8 05:44:46 EDT 2000

I'm mired trying to build wxPython for 1.6b1 (on a Win/98 machine).

wxWindows 2.2.0 was built without a hitch -- then I tried fathoming
the wxPython build/install instructions, but can'g get past first base:-(.

The build.py produces a Makefile that wants to build a dummy.obj
(from the .env file it sucks in from the wxWindows directories) -- I
do not understand the purpose of that obj, but it just can't be built
anyway (no sources for it in the directory I'm working in, per the
above-referenced instructions).

Has anybody managed to build wxPython 2.2.0 for Windows and
Python 1.6b1...?  Or has some pointers/suggestions/whatever...?
TIA!

Alex