Python Trademark Status

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
Sat Aug 26 15:48:08 EDT 2000

On Sat, Aug 26, 2000 at 01:49:22PM -0400, Tim Peters wrote:
>Thanks, Andrew!  So, as it still appears, CNRI wants some legal exclusivity
>to the right to use the name "Python", but not for their own use.  Hmm; it's
>hard not to leap to an unflattering conclusion.  But the description in

I've leapt to probably the exact same unflattering conclusion, that
this was done for future user as a bargaining tactic.

>BTW, do you guys get any work done over there, or do you spend all your time
>dreaming up ways to stop other people from doing theirs <wink>?

This is all the fault of the Pointy-Haired Bosses at CNRI.  The PHBs
spend as much time obstructing the progress of internal groups as
external ones, so we don't get to feel left out of all the fun.  (In
all fairness, I think the problems don't stem from malice or dark
conspiracies on the part of CNRI, just a severe undersupply of clues.)

--amk