building modules in linux

Ruud de Rooij * at spam.ruud.org
Mon Aug 7 15:16:11 EDT 2000

Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net> writes:

> On Mon, Aug 07, 2000 at 01:03:06PM -0400, Seung Chan Lim wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to build a python module in linux, any pointers?
>
> Which module ?
>
> > I tried following the "building python modules in unix" step by step, but I
> > got the following error
>
> Linux is part of the UNIX family of operating systems, so it should work
> just fine.
>
> > %make -f Makefile.pre.in clean
> > ', needed by `clean'.  Stop.rget `
>
> This error message seems chopped off. 'what' is needed by 'clean' ? I also
> believe the right way to make is 'make -f Makefile.pre.in boot', which
> generates a Makefile, and then 'make' without an argument for the rest of
> the process.

Actually it looks like the message said something to the effect of

Makefile: No rule to make target '
', needed by `clean'.  Stop.

The fact that they are printed over each other suggests that there are
carriage-return characters in the file, which mess up things in a
Unix/Linux environment.

The solution is to remove the carriage returns from the file using a
program such as dos2unix or fromdos, or with "tr -d '\r'".

	- Ruud de Rooij.
--
ruud de rooij | *@spam.ruud.org | http://ruud.org