Timeout on read()?

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Tue Aug 22 12:18:17 EDT 2000

Quoth David Bolen <db3l at fitlinxx.com>:
| Moshe Zadka <moshez at math.huji.ac.il> writes:
|
|> On the other hand, for good cross-platform solution, you can
|> use the "select" module.
|
| Are you sure?  I'm fairly certain that on Windows, the select.select()
| function will only work for sockets, since it's layerd right on top of
| Winsock.

Probably true, and the same is still true for BeOS.  But on the
bright side, select() is the best way to go on UNIX.  And optimistically,
we can hope that the notion of file descriptor as a valuable abstraction
will catch on - there's reason to hope that BeOS will fix this soon -
while signals are never going to be much good for Python programming
regardless of the OS.

	Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu