Timeout on read()?

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Tue Aug 22 18:14:28 EDT 2000

Donn Cave <donn at u.washington.edu> writes:

> Probably true, and the same is still true for BeOS.  But on the
> bright side, select() is the best way to go on UNIX.  And optimistically,
> we can hope that the notion of file descriptor as a valuable abstraction
> will catch on

I wish - this has to be way up there for me on my list of frustrating
things about Windows development.  I mean, for just about everything
they did build this abstraction (e.g., most other resources being
standard HANDLEs).  Why couldn't they have implemented Winsock as a
filesystem (as they did their own WNet stuff) and thus have it return
handles compatible with the all the other handles in the Windows
universe?

Oh well - hope isn't high for me - they've had plenty of time, and I
don't think this changes in W2K either.

--
-- David