Against the CGI-is-slow chorus (Re: CGI with Python: advantages?)

ajung at suxers.de ajung at suxers.de
Mon Aug 7 14:31:43 EDT 2000

Sam Penrose <see at message.body> wrote:
2qy
2qy ....

Fast machines often veil the incompetence of programmers in writing efficient
code. I have seen Python programs that run in 5% of the time than before
tuning. But often just these programmer cry "Python is slow"  or "we need a
faster machine". I prefer fast and efficient solutions.  This means for Python
in a CGI environment: fast startup, fast processing, fast response. But CGI is
an out-dated technology. I would never use Python for CGI scripting on a
high-traffic webserver. There are much better solutions. CGI is often used
because its interface is stupid and easy to understand. But for a real working
environment there are much better alternatives on the (open source) market -
for Python and all related programming languages.

Cheers,
Andreas