Still no new license -- but draft text available

Pat McCann thisis at bboogguusss.org
Thu Aug 17 15:41:34 EDT 2000

"Jeffrey B. Siegal" <jbs at quiotix.com> writes:

> There is no question that BSD is more "generous" than GPL in terms of each
> individual licensee. From the point of vide of an individual licensee GPL
> requires a quid pro quo which BSD does not.  However, by creating a cooperative
> institution wherein it is assured that code can continue to be exchanged and
> shared, using GPL *may* result in a larger--and therefore, in a sense, "more
> generous," gift to society as a whole.

Gifts aren't generous.  People are.  And you don't get generosity points
for other people's gifts.  You get generosity points for granting some
of your copyrights.  And copyleftists grant fewer rights than other open
software developers.  Therefore they are less generous.

(Yeah, I know about generous gifts.  Gimme a break.)