Still no new license -- but draft text available

Jeffrey B. Siegal jbs at quiotix.com
Thu Aug 17 17:10:00 EDT 2000

Pat McCann wrote:
> Gifts aren't generous.  People are.  And you don't get generosity points
> for other people's gifts.  You get generosity points for granting some
> of your copyrights.  And copyleftists grant fewer rights than other open
> software developers.  Therefore they are less generous.

Yes and no. I agree (as I originally stated), that using the strict definition
of the word generous, from the point of view of the individual licensor and
licensee, BSD licensing is clearly more generous.

But perhaps that's simply the wrong measure.

Someone who gives $1 million to a drug addict to buy drugs is technically more
generous than someone who gives $100,000 to a valuable charity which makes a
real difference in the world, but the one giving $100,000 has clearly done more
for, and been more generous to, society as a whole.