some comments for Python 3000

Courageous jkraska1 at san.rr.com
Sat Aug 12 20:05:10 EDT 2000

> Examples here would be a) implementation of generators (like in icon)
> [they can be imitated by classes but generators are simply more concise
> for small things]; b) consideration of some form of goal-directed
> evaluation [icon, again, saves plenty of coding]. Smaller examples
> could be extension of the functionality of lambda functions [rewrite
> model for them?] as well as consideration for some higher model of
> string handling...

With due respect, none of these things are particularly exciting
to the mainstream programmer. For Python to "get the attention it
deserves," it needs a native compiler that compiles as effectively
as ACL. Now *that* would get it the attention it deserves.

I would make a wholesale switch to Python for all softare development
if I could use it in performance-sensitive environments.

It doesn't have to be as fast a C, mind you.

C//