new bitwise module [was Re: Discussion: new operators ...]

Huaiyu Zhu hzhu at localhost.localdomain
Wed Aug 2 12:56:25 EDT 2000

On Wed, 02 Aug 2000 08:02:59 +0200, Christian Tanzer <tanzer at swing.co.at>
wrote:

>Removing operators from a language is another topic, though.

Advice well taken.

I think there is a miscommunication to be clarified. The bitwise proposal
was for putting the new module in, not for taking existing symbols out.  The
latter was billed for Python 3000, which I understand is anybody's fair game
for any speculation.

I can see that the discussion on prefering the new module to the existing
bitwise operators (when both are available) could be alternatively read as a
call to remove the symbols from the language in realistic terms.  That never
crossed my mind so I didn't try to make it clear.

>From my experience in this newsgroup, alarms about incompatibility exceeds
actual proposals of incompatibility by orders of magnitude.  I would not
take anyone's proposal as implying incompatibility until these two questions
are asked and answered: "are you aware this is incompatible" and "are you
proposing to actually make the incompatible changes".

Anyway, you are right that this is a distraction.  So let's move on.

Huaiyu