new bitwise module [was Re: Discussion: new operators ...]

Alex Martelli alex at magenta.com
Tue Aug 1 16:59:54 EDT 2000

"Huaiyu Zhu" <hzhu at localhost.localdomain> wrote in message
news:slrn8oe6ch.1lu.hzhu at localhost.localdomain...
> On Tue, 1 Aug 2000 14:11:59 +0200, Alex Martelli <alex at magenta.com> wrote:
> >
> >""" bitwise.py - replaces builtin bitwise operations with named functions
> >"""
> [snip]
> >
> >OK, so, how does one proceed now?  We have a new simple and general
> >purpose module that we believe might be beneficial to include in the
> >standard distribution -- what do we send were to submit it? Anybody
knows?

> Someone may give a more official answer, but AFAIK, I suppose we could
just
> put in a few more docstrings and submit it to the python-dev list?  I'm
not

Is it a mailing list...?  I've looked around but I can't find it.

> sure this need a PEP, but it wouldn't hurt.  The PEP would describe why

How does one open a PEP...?

> named functions are better, how this module is going to replace the
bitwise
> operators, and hints on a C implementation when the bitwise operators are
> decommisioned.  I hope you could do this, as I'm still struggling with the
> PEP for math operators at my spare time.

Why, sure -- if anybody is kind enough to help me with the submission/PEP
process...?

> Or, if Guido or Tim is listening on this thread, what's your opinion?

That would be PARTICULARLY welcome of course -- if the BDFL or timbot
nix it, we may as well save the trouble:-).

Alex