Still no new license -- but draft text available

Gary Momarison nobody at phony.org
Fri Aug 11 04:26:50 EDT 2000

"John W. Stevens" <jstevens at basho.fc.hp.com> writes:

> Courageous wrote:
[snip]
> > Stallman has fairly well soured on his whole "copyleft" notion
> > anyway. Free software is winning, the rest of us see little need
> > for communism. Which is exactly what copyleft is, IMO.
>
> What utter and total nonsense.  Copyleft is not about communism, it is
> about removing artificial barriers to competition.  Copyleft is, quite
> simply, cooperative-competition, which works by competing over "I have a
> better idea", rather than, "I've hidden my ideas".

I'm not sure what "utter and total" adds to "nonsense" besides
emotions (something John just accused me of doing).  Perhaps such
qualifiers mean I can be allowed to say the Courageous statement is only
probable nonsense.

Its sense depends on his definition of communism.  John talks of
"the community" and "the cooperative".  These are terms common in some
(all?) brands of communism and are not much different from "commune"
in meaning.  It's not hard for some to make the leap.

But I don't think the term should be used without a lot of explanation.