Still no new license -- but draft text available

John W. Stevens jstevens at basho.fc.hp.com
Thu Aug 10 16:47:00 EDT 2000

Courageous wrote:

> > But that being said, the *empirical* evidence seems to indicate that the
> > open/free aspect of software is much more important than whether (or
> > not) it is copylefted.  If you consider the success of Python (with its
> > generous CWI license), Perl (with its generous Artistic License--and the
> > Grinchly GPL available as an alternative), and the Linux Sysem (not
> > "GNU/Linux System"--na-nya-nana-nay Mr. Stallman! ;-)...
>
> Stallman has fairly well soured on his whole "copyleft" notion
> anyway. Free software is winning, the rest of us see little need
> for communism. Which is exactly what copyleft is, IMO.

What utter and total nonsense.  Copyleft is not about communism, it is
about removing artificial barriers to competition.  Copyleft is, quite
simply, cooperative-competition, which works by competing over "I have a
better idea", rather than, "I've hidden my ideas".

--

If I spoke for HP --- there probably wouldn't BE an HP!

John Stevens
jstevens at basho.fc.hp.com