ZOPE Python edit debug cycle

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Tue Aug 29 06:43:25 EDT 2000

General note: better idea to ask questions about Zope on the Zope
list.

Phlip <phlip_cpp at my-deja.com> wrote:
[snip]
> If I had a syntax error, ZOPE throws it away and I never get to read
> it.

You can see it on the products screen, generally. Though perhaps not
for syntax errors; not sure. But you can always check for those by
trying to run the .py file manually.

> The inner question: How, in ZOPE land, do you ask it to refresh its
> concepts of all the Python files without stopping and restarting the
> service?

For external methods, debug mode is fine (start with -D). If you don't
use debug mode, you can refresh them by pressing the 'edit' button on
their management screen.

For Python based products, I generally think restarting the Zope server
is not too long a wait, though indeed

> The outer question: What does a healthy edit/debug cycle look
> like?

For Python based products, I generally think restarting the Zope server
is not that big of a pain, though certainly it could be a lot better.

That said, there are various options to shorten the cycle:

  * use ZClasses (possibly with through the web Python methods or
    external methods). Editing these has instantaneous results.

  * use the experimental product refresh product:

    http://www.zope.org/Members/hathawsh/Refresh

    I've noticed some odd glitches with this, but overall it does seem
    to work. It allows you to refresh products in a running Zope.

Regards,

Martijn