Simple Server

Nick Trout nick at nil_spam_videosystem.co.uk
Tue Aug 29 12:10:54 EDT 2000

> >> Is Zope *very* complicated?
>
> > I'll say this since no-one else has - no, not really. It is /different/
> > and, since I think one can reasonably assume that others have more
> > knowledge in this area than I, perhaps not the most appropriate solution
> > to your problem - but it is a very impressive toy (-:
>
> And more than a toy. :) Zope is pretty different, but if you're
> new to web programming that may not be a problem. Zope is also *huge*;
> there is a lot to learn if you want to learn it. But you don't necessarily
> have to learn it all, either. In fact, Zope is probably easier than
> most solutions in some cases, because of its web-based management
> interface. It's just that there's far more to Zope than that, and one
> does have to go a bit deeper to exploit most of its power.
>
> I'm using Zope on Windows NT behind Apache; that works just fine mostly,
> except that NT isn't always very pleasant. That said, it tends to
> run stably for weeks at an end (and then usually we need to reboot
> the server for other reasons, or restart Zope to install a new product --
> it's not that it's crashing :). If you don't need Apache's
> features, you can run a stand-alone Zope as well (using its built-in
> Medusa-based web server). I also know people have it running behind ISS.

To be honest. I'm not finding Zope that difficult (and its looks as though
it will be the business!). The help is very good and well aimed for
beginners. Strangely I found it very informative poking around in the Medusa
source before I installed Zope. It kind of gives you insight into the guts
of Zope before you start...

Cheers,
Nick.