Simple Server

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Sat Aug 26 19:38:03 EDT 2000

JTC Murphy <jm at recumbent.co.uk> wrote:

>> Is Zope *very* complicated?

> I'll say this since no-one else has - no, not really. It is /different/
> and, since I think one can reasonably assume that others have more
> knowledge in this area than I, perhaps not the most appropriate solution
> to your problem - but it is a very impressive toy (-:

And more than a toy. :) Zope is pretty different, but if you're
new to web programming that may not be a problem. Zope is also *huge*;
there is a lot to learn if you want to learn it. But you don't necessarily
have to learn it all, either. In fact, Zope is probably easier than
most solutions in some cases, because of its web-based management
interface. It's just that there's far more to Zope than that, and one
does have to go a bit deeper to exploit most of its power.

I'm using Zope on Windows NT behind Apache; that works just fine mostly,
except that NT isn't always very pleasant. That said, it tends to
run stably for weeks at an end (and then usually we need to reboot
the server for other reasons, or restart Zope to install a new product --
it's not that it's crashing :). If you don't need Apache's
features, you can run a stand-alone Zope as well (using its built-in
Medusa-based web server). I also know people have it running behind ISS.

Regards,

Martijn