Music Synthesizer written in 100% Python

William Annis annis at biostat.wisc.edu
Mon Aug 28 16:06:54 EDT 2000

"Alex Martelli" <alex at magenta.com> writes:

> > generate the various {well/even/???}-tempered scales using some functions
> > rather than hard-coding them, and you could then use the program to
> generate
>
> Well-tempered is easy, of course (as long as exp(log(2)/12) works:-).  But,
> what are the algorithms for even-tempered scales, depending on the tonal?

        http://www.execpc.com/~wsannis/ratio.html is a good starting
point for Just Intonation via Python, if I do say so myself. :)

        See http://www.dnai.com/~jinetwk/ for links to mode detailed
descriptions of the various tuning systems available.

        Equal tempered scales are a matter of simply finding roots.
the where s = 12th root of 2, s^n is the nth step of the normal 12-tet
scale we all know and love in most European-derived musics
(remembering that a frequency doubled is the octave).  So, if for some
reason you want a 22-tone equal tempered scale, just find the 22nd
root of 2.

--
William Annis - System Administrator - Biomedical Computing Group
annis at biostat.wisc.edu                       PGP ID:1024/FBF64031