Free DB options under python

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Tue Aug 8 11:23:32 EDT 2000

In article <8mo8ft$108$1 at gaia.cdg.acriter.nl>,
Cees de Groot <cg at cdegroot.com> wrote:
>Aahz Maruch <aahz at netcom.com> said:
>>
>>Depends on what you need.  Probably the best/simplest all-around
>>solution is mySQL.  Other options include Gadfly at the low end and
>>PostgreSQL at the high end.
>
>Please, could we abstain from calling mySQL and "best" in the same context?
>It's a very fast storage engine with SQL, but lacks essentials to call
>it a database (transactions, for example). PostgreSQL maybe costs a tiny
>bit more trouble to install, but for that price you've got a real database.

Perhaps I shouldn't shoot my mouth off, but...

>(put mySQL in the same ballpark as MS Access' database engine, PostgreSQL
>with SQL Server, and you get the picture).

...that's more or less the picture that I had.  I have not used any of
these options, but the impression that I get from reading c.l.py is that
mySQL generally is easier to get started with than PostgreSQL, and that
many people think that mySQL is the best compromise (for certain
applications) between simplicity and features/power.  Which is why I
used "best/simplest" rather than "best".

Incidentally, as someone who has found bugs with SQL Server 7.0 and its
transactional system, as well as being a former Paradox tech support
person, I'm a big fan of sizing the DB to the problem.

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

NOTE: end of September, Earthlink kills Netcom.  My new permanent address is
aahz at pobox.com.  I have not decided where to set my primary shell account.
Please do not send me e-mail condolences; my mailbox is already too big.